Thursday, November 20, 2008

Higher-Tech Coming To Motorcycles. Honda DN-01




You can say there is technology in just about anything built in the last few decades, but where is the line drawn between basic technology and high technology. I would say, if there is something new, something different, something not so understood, then chances are that suits the high-tech label. Although you might look at Honda's new DN-01 and notice that it's futuristic in design, that in itself does not make for high-tech. What lies beneath may.

I like to write about all things tech, and since I'm a motorcyclist, it falls into place that I would write about this bike. I'll get to the tech in a moment, but I'll preface it by saying that I do know motorcyclists and I have a general idea of how this bike will fare. Many bikers are in cliques. You'll see Harley groups, Cruiser groups (that may include Harleys and others), you'll even see a few groups (like one I belong to) that allow any bike. But even within those mixed groups, there are very specific type riders, and a great majority are pretty set in their style of ride. Sportbikers are the most specific. They might own a Ducati, or VFR or GSXR etc. They know their bikes and have very specific criteria for them. Powerful, good looking, fast in the turns, and perhaps the right exhaust note. Cruiser types like the laid back bike with good looks, likely a chunky V-Twin engine with even more emphasis on the exhaust note. Harley even took steps to patent their exhaust sound several years back.

Hard-core bikers, or "purists" will likely not accept the new Honda DN-01. After all, its not really a motorcycle to many of them. Besides not fitting in any one category, its slightly overweight and slightly underpowered. The 600lb bike being pushed by a 61hp engine will get the added benefit of the CVT (continuously variable transmission) transmission that will keep the engine in the torque band longer than a traditional shift engine.

The new radical designed bike is here on my Tech blog because of what it is, and in my opinion, it will pave the road for whats to come. Lets start with the basics. First of all, yes it looks like a fast futuristic bike right? Look again. There are no foot pegs, but rather a floor board like a big cruiser bike might have. Look at the handlebars. They are pulled way back, so the rider actually sits with his/her feet partially in front of the hands meaning you are on a cruiser bike. What lies beneath is a basic fuel-injected 680cc V-Twin engine, but it's mated to a very new CVT. This means no clutch.

A very high-tech and ingenious design allows hydraulic fluid to adjust the output gear ratio. It's brilliant, compact, eliminates clutch work, and is more reliable and efficient than slipping belts in pulleys as in most scooters.

1. The engine cranks a pump that turns both the drive shaft and a tilted metal disk [A].
2. As the disk spins, it depresses a circular set of pistons [B] around the shaft.
3. The pistons eject high-pressure fluid that travels through a chamber [C] and pushes out a second set of pistons [D].
4. Those pistons press a second tilted disk [E], causing it to spin and transmit extra torque (leverage) to the drive shaft.
5. A motor (on the top) adjusts the angle of the second disk . A lot of tilt provides the high torque found in low gear [F]. Less tilt offers lower torque but more speed, like a high gear.

One potential problem for Honda is overall value. At roughly $15,000, the DN-01 won't sell like Tickle me Elmo dolls, but my point for highlighting this bike is for the technology and what it means for future bikes. It's not the first automatic on a motorcycle, but it just might be the best design, and one that actually becomes desirable. I believe there is a market for such a bike, and although this is a great first effort, I don't expect Honda to make much money on it. They might not even expect it. Consider it part of R&D. They might be thinking: 'Lets see how the people respond, and see how this new CVT holds up.'
As for who will buy the DN-01, that doesn't specifically fall into any category, I think scooter shoppers with decent income that simply want the larger stability of a motorcycle will be one group. Perhaps long time bikers that don't care about cliques, and much less about using a clutch after so many years. Lets not forget the middle-aged men contemplating dumping the Camry for a Porsche, but only have the money for a new Camry.

I love tradition, but I love change. I welcome this bike even if it doesn't last. Honda is a successful company and I think it's because the are willing to take chances.

I'm hoping this Ev0-6 is next.

No comments:

I am here to...

How comfortable are you with technology

What is your main computer system?

About Me

My photo
I have been a Technology Consultant for over 15 years and am sometimes referred to as the Tech Guy To The Stars as many clients are of the Hollywood crowd. I haven't needed a business card in over a decade as I have made my living by word-of-mouth. I have a sick passion and addiction to efficiency. From my hybrid car to how a business office can be run more efficiently with today's technology. Knowledge is power, and my purpose here is to share what I have learned with those that can use it. I'm forever a student as well, so along the way, my eyes and ears are always open to new ideas, new technologies and just new ways of doing things